Former ETHS student to represent Nigeria at the Olympic Games

Catherine Henderson, Assistant City Editor

This month, Seun Adigun will compete at the Olympics as a bobsledder. 14 years ago, however, she was a track star at Evanston Township High School, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Adigun will be a member of Nigeria’s first-ever team at the Winter Olympics at this year’s games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The Tribune reported Adigun and her teammates — Akuoma Omeoga and Ngozi Onwumere — will also be the first bobsled team from any country in Africa.

In 2003, Adigun ran on two state champion relays and placed seventh in the Class AA 400 meter run for ETHS, according to the Tribune. She then transferred to Homewood-Flossmoor High School, where her coach, Becky McCabe, led her to another state championship.

“Her attitude and positivity was infectious,” McCabe told the Tribune. “She was just this amazing, happy go-getter. And you knew this was just the beginning.”

Adigun then attended the University of Houston, where she was a sprinter and hurdler. In 2012, Adigun ran track for Nigeria at the Summer Olympics in London.
After her 2012 Olympic stint, Adigun decided to train for the Winter Games as a bobsledder, according to the Tribune.
“It was important to try and help Nigeria get its first Winter Olympians,” Adigun told the Tribune. “It seemed like it had grown to be so much larger than me at that point. It was almost like a calling from God.”

Twitter: @caity_henderson