Blotter: Man charged with battery

Nikki Baim, Reporter

A 31-year-old man was arrested Monday afternoon and charged with battery in south Evanston.

Police responded to reports of two men in their 30s fighting in the 700 block of Mulford Street at 4:12 p.m., Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The 31-year-old man told police that the 35-year-old resident he fought had “defamed” his manhood by calling him gay.

The younger man responded to the comments by putting the 35-year-old on the ground and striking him with his hands, Glew said. The left side of the man’s face was red when officers arrived. Glew said the two men were engaged in an ongoing dispute that began over the phone days before the arrest.

The 31-year-old was charged with battery.

Woman arrested in connection with violation of order of protection

Police arrested a 36-year-old woman at her home early Tuesday morning and charged her with a violation of order of protection.

A 50-year-old woman on the first floor of a home in the 200 block of Callan Avenue called police when she heard a commotion upstairs after someone knocked on her door, Glew said. The woman told police she saw a woman and two men standing outside her door.

Police found the 36-year-old woman — who had engaged in similar behavior before — on the second floor of the building, Glew said. She was charged with a violation of order of protection.

Twitter: @nikkibaim