EFD battle house fire on Sheridan Place

Firefighters+fight+a+blaze+on+the+2800+block+of+Sheridan+Place.+Over+ten+municipalities+assisted+the+Evanston+Fire+Department+in+putting+out+the+fire.+

David Lee/The Daily Northwestern

Firefighters fight a blaze on the 2800 block of Sheridan Place. Over ten municipalities assisted the Evanston Fire Department in putting out the fire.

Alan Perez, Reporter

Fire crews from multiple municipalities battled a three-alarm blaze in below-freezing temperatures on Thursday, causing minor injury to one firefighter.

Departments from over ten cities joined the Evanston Fire Department in fighting the fire on the 2800 block of Sheridan Place after additional crews were called for backup, Evanston Fire Chief Brian Scott said. EFD first responded to an 11:10 a.m. call, he added, but the fire quickly spread.

The home’s residents were not present at the time, and though fire officials don’t suspect foul play, the cause of the fire is under investigation.

One firefighter is being evaluated at a local hospital after a charged hose knocked him to the ground, causing injury to his knee, Scott said.

The fire is believed to have began on the second floor of the three-story residence, Scott said, and quickly spread to the third-floor attic. Despite temperatures that fell below 15 degrees, crews were able to extinguish the fire by about 1:45 p.m., he said.

Twitter: @_perezalan_