Student released from hospital after being hit by car near Sheridan Road, Hinman Avenue

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Police assist at the scene near the intersection of Sheridan Road and Hinman Avenue. A pedestrian was struck by a car at around 5:40 p.m. Friday and sustained minor injuries, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Erica Snow, Campus Editor

A student who was struck by a car around 5:40 p.m. Friday near Sheridan Road and Hinman Avenue was released from Evanston Hospital later that night, a hospital representative told The Daily.

Northwestern deputy chief of police Gloria Graham confirmed the identity of the student as Medill junior Christopher Grismer. He sustained minor injuries, including a cut on his head, and was transported to Evanston Hospital, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The driver was initially going to be cited with failure to yield to a pedestrian, but the driver was not found to be at fault, Dugan told The Daily in an email Friday.

After the accident, the road was blocked off for about 10 to 15 minutes, but was later reopened, Dugan said.

McCormick sophomore Mark Galperin, who witnessed the accident, said he went over to assist the pedestrian and call 911. He added that the pedestrian was bleeding from the back of his head, as well as his nose.

Galperin said the people in the car got out and asked the pedestrian if he was hurt.

“I heard a thump, and he was basically tumbling over the right side of that car,” Galperin said. “Then he fell over, and was just kind of lying on the floor, on the ground, and the car stopped. … He seemed conscious, present to a certain degree, but also kind of dazed.”

Colin Boyle contributed reporting.

This story was updated on Nov. 20 at 1:05 a.m. to identify the pedestrian and include that he was released from the hospital.

Twitter: @ericasnoww