Intercampus shuttles to offer free Wi-Fi next quarter

Daily file photo by Brian Lee

One of Northwestern’s intercampus shuttles at the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Noyes Street. The shuttles, which mainly travel between NU’s Evanston and Chicago campuses, will offer free Wi-Fi service to passengers as soon as Winter Quarter.

Alan Perez, Reporter

Intercampus shuttles will offer riders free internet connection as soon as Winter Quarter.

Transportation and Parking Services employees are currently installing Wi-Fi on buses that primarily travel between Northwestern’s Evanston and Chicago campuses, transportation services manager Paul Merkey told The Daily in an email.

Merkey said the project was inspired by riders who expressed a desire to work and connect to the internet while on the shuttles.

“We are excited to be implementing this service enhancement for the campus community,” he said. “It will be an added benefit for when a rider is traveling between the two campuses.”

The shuttle — available to students, faculty and staff who present a valid Wildcard — will still be free, Merkey said.

He added that he hopes to finish the equipment installation and begin Wi-Fi service during Winter Quarter.

Twitter: @_perezalan_