Rapid Recap: Northwestern 39, No. 16 Michigan State 31 (3OT)

Clayton Thorson snaps the ball. The junior quarterback passed for 356 yards against the No. 16 Spartans.

Sophie Mann/Daily Senior Staffer

Max Schuman, Gameday Editor

Football

For a second straight week at Ryan Field, the fans got their money’s worth.

After surrendering a late touchdown drive to tie the game in regulation, Northwestern (5-3, 3-2 Big Ten) rebounded to inch past No. 16 Michigan State (6-2, 4-1) in triple overtime 39-31. Junior quarterback Clayton Thorson threw for 356 yards and connected with junior receiver Flynn Nagel for the eventual game-winning touchdown.

Both the Wildcats and the Spartans came into Saturday’s contest with strong defensive reputations. But the 17-17 score heading into overtime wasn’t representative of the overall feel of the game, with both offenses moving the ball at a relatively good clip. The fireworks came in the overtimes, and NU ultimately made enough plays to come out with a hard-fought win long after the clock first hit zeros.

Takeaways

1. The Wildcats’ defense came through late. NU ceded more than 500 yards of offense to the visitors on the day, but tightened up in the red zone to keep the Spartans to a single touchdown — until the final drive of regulation. The chance for redemption didn’t come until the third overtime, but the Cats seized it when it did. Junior linebacker Nate Hall came down with a jump-ball interception in the end zone to seal the victory and cue a field rushing from the student section.

2. The run game? Forget about it. NU sure did for the majority of the day, and it led to decent success against a stingy Spartans defense. Junior quarterback Clayton Thorson racked up 48 attempts, while the Cats ran just 28 times. With generally strong pass protection, Thorson was able to find his receivers consistently, notching his highest yardage total in conference play. It was an encouraging showing from a passing attack that has struggled to find its footing this season.

3. It was a big win for Northwestern. Topping the Spartans gave the Cats a third straight win and a victory over one of the Big Ten’s top teams. With a soft schedule remaining and a hearty helping of confidence from recent results, NU looks poised to roll up a win total befitting the hype around the team entering the season. Winter may be coming in Evanston, but the Cats’ 2017 prospects are as bright as ever.

Stats
-Michigan State quarterback Brian Lewerke: 445 yards passing, four touchdowns
-Redshirt freshman linebacker Paddy Fisher: 17 tackles, two forced fumbles
-Justin Jackson: 1-for-1 passing for 12 yards and one touchdown

Twitter: @maxschuman28