Football: Pat Fitzgerald ranked 32nd highest-paid coach in college football

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

Pat Fitzgerald coaches from the sideline. Fitzgerald ranks eighth in terms of highest salaries among coaches in the Big Ten.

Aidan Markey, Digital Managing Editor

Football

Coach Pat Fitzgerald received the 32nd highest salary in college football this year, according to USA Today’s annual survey of college football coach salaries, released Wednesday.

At $3.3 million per year, Fitzgerald has the eighth-highest salary in the Big Ten. Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh leads the conference and is third in the country at just over $7 million per year, with Ohio State’s Urban Meyer following directly behind in both the conference and national rankings at $6.4 million per year, the survey showed.

Alabama’s Nick Saban led the nation, earning $11.1 million per year, followed by Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, who makes $8.5 million, according to the survey.

To collect the data, USA Today requested all forms of compensation for each coach at all 130 schools, according to the publication’s website. Some universities did not submit requested documentation due to state law exemptions related to coaches compensation.

Fitzgerald is currently under contract through 2026, following an extension announced in April.

Twitter: @markey2019