Schakowsky condemns 2018 budget resolution, says tax cuts will hurt middle class

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) speaks at a 2016 event. Schakowsky condemned the Republican budget proposal in a statement on Thursday.

Kristina Karisch, Web Editor

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) condemned the 2018 budget resolution in a statement Thursday, saying the tax cuts would hurt middle-class families across the country.

“The Republican Budget passed today paves the way for trillions of dollars in tax cuts for millionaires, billionaires, and corporations — paid for by middle-class families, children, seniors, and people with disabilities,” Schakowsky said in the statement.

House members narrowly passed a budget blueprint Thursday in a 216 to 212 vote. The blueprint would allow a tax bill to pass through Congress with a simple majority. Republican lawmakers have signaled that the legislation may be approved by late November.

In September, lawmakers outlined the new tax plan, which would cut the corporate income tax by 15 percentage points — from 35 to 20. It would also reduce individual income tax brackets and almost double standard deductions. Schakosky said that through this, 47 million Americans earning between $50,000 and $150,000 would see an increase in their taxes.

She broadly criticized the measure in her statement, saying that under the Republican plan, “1.9 million Illinoisans would no longer be able to claim the state and local tax deduction.”

“We are the richest country in the world at the richest point in history,” she said. “Every American deserves the guarantee of great health care, debt-free college, affordable housing, a secure retirement, and world-class infrastructure. We can achieve all that — we just have to be willing to demand that the ultra-rich and huge corporations pay their fair share.”

Twitter: @kristinakarisch