University renames diversity awards, grants to honor former provost Dan Linzer

Former+provost+Dan+Linzer+speaks+at+an+Associated+Student+Government+Senate+in+2016.+The+Provost+Awards+and+Grants+for+Faculty+Diversity+and+Equity+have+been+renamed+to+honor+Linzer.+

Daily file photo by Josh Kaplan

Former provost Dan Linzer speaks at an Associated Student Government Senate in 2016. The Provost Awards and Grants for Faculty Diversity and Equity have been renamed to honor Linzer.

Ally Mauch, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern renamed the Provost Awards and Grants for Faculty Diversity and Equity after former provost Dan Linzer, the University announced on Thursday.

Linzer, who created the awards and grants last year, stepped down following the 2016-17 academic year. After 10 years as provost, the awards will “honor his dedication to building a more diverse, inclusive and equitable climate on campus,” the release said.

The newly-named Daniel I. Linzer Awards for Faculty Excellence in Diversity and Equity and Daniel I. Linzer Grants for Innovation in Diversity and Equity aim to increase diversity in terms of race, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, age and political affiliation, according to the release.

“I am honored and humbled to have these awards named for me,” Linzer said in the release. “The goals of the grants and awards are, quite simply, to catalyze and recognize the best ideas to improve diversity and inclusion throughout the University.”

During the last academic year, the Office of the Provost awarded nearly $165,000 to fund faculty work and projects “designed to improve diversity and equity” at NU, according to the release.

“To be a great institution of the world, we must be represented by diverse voices of the world,” Provost Jonathan Holloway said in the release. “Dan’s commitment to that ideal, highlighted by his creation of these awards, fosters a powerful learning environment for students and faculty to grow into leaders on a global stage.”

Twitter: @allymauch