Men’s Swimming: Alec Hayden returns to Northwestern as assistant coach

Syd Stone, Copy Chief

Swimming and Diving

Coach Jarod Schroeder named former Northwestern swimmer Alec Hayden as the team’s assistant coach, according to a Tuesday news release.

Hayden returns to NU after three seasons as the assistant coach for the Illinois women’s swimming and diving program. During his undergraduate career as a Wildcat, Hayden was a two-time captain and a four-year letter winner. He graduated in 2008 with degrees in mathematical methods in the social sciences and economics.

“I am excited to bring Alec back to Northwestern because I know he is going to put everything into his job and this program,” Schroeder said in the release. “He truly believes in the Northwestern student-athlete experience and what our program stands for. He bleeds purple and has an unwavering passion for his alma mater. It’s great to have him back home in Evanston.”

As assistant coach in Champaign, Illinois, Hayden led swimmers to 28 school records and helped the program win its first Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor and Big Ten Swimmer of the Week since 2006. One of his swimmers made it to the 2016 Canadian Olympic Trials, according to the release.

In high school, the Wilmette native was a team captain at New Trier High School and a four-year All-Conference honoree. He began his coaching career as an assistant senior coach with the Northwestern Aquatic Swim Association Wildcat Aquatics team, a competitive swimming program for children on the North Shore.

Twitter: @sydstone16