Men’s Soccer: Northwestern falls to Ohio State in Big Ten opener

Forward Elo Ozumba takes on a defender during a game last season. The now-senior will spearhead the Wildcats' offense this fall.

Daily file photo by Noah Frick-Alofs

Daily file photo by Noah Frick-Alofs

Jonah Dylan, Sports Editor

Men’s Soccer

After a rough non-conference season, Northwestern had a chance to start off the Big Ten season on a high note at home against Ohio State.

It didn’t happen.

Senior defender Hunter Robertson one-timed a corner kick from junior midfielder Abdi Mohamed into the back of the net in the sixth minute and the Wildcats (1-4, 0-1 Big Ten) never overcame the deficit, falling 1-0 to the Buckeyes (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) to open conference play. Despite conceding an early goal, freshman goalkeeper Miha Miskovic had a career-high five saves in what was just his second career start.

Ohio State outshot NU 13-5 and controlled the game for much of the night. The Cats had a chance to equalize in the 48th minute, but senior forward Elo Ozumba’s shot clanked off the post. Ozumba led his team with three shots, including NU’s only shot on goal for the night. It was the second straight year that the Cats fell 1-0 to the Buckeyes, having lost in Columbus last season.

NU will try to regroup before it heads to Madison to take on Wisconsin next Wednesday. The Badgers will come in seeking their first conference win after they dropped their Big Ten opener to Michigan on Friday.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan