Blotter: Man arrested in connection with aggravating fleeing, 11 traffic citations in brief chase

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

A Skokie man was arrested Monday afternoon in west Evanston after fleeing from police officers and crashing his car into a building, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The 49-year-old man was stopped in the 1600 block of Foster Street after failing to use his turn signal, Dugan said. When approached by officers, the man quickly reversed and fled in his vehicle.

According to reports from nearby police cars, the man drove away “at a high rate of speed,” Dugan said, through the Darrow Avenue alley, alongside Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, northbound for one block. He then turned right on Simpson Street.

The man eventually crashed into a building in the 1100 block of Simpson — four blocks west of Northwestern campus — but no one was seriously injured in the accident, Dugan said.

After the crash, officers found 3.3 grams of cocaine in the car and then found the man hiding under a porch in the 2100 block of Ridge Avenue, Dugan said.

After being treated for minor injuries at the hospital, the man was arrested and charged in connection with two felonies — aggravated fleeing and eluding and possession of a controlled substance — in addition to 11 traffic citations, Dugan said.

Twitter: @benpope111