Paul Ang, CARE coordinator for men’s engagement, set to leave Northwestern

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

Paul Ang, the coordinator for men’s engagement at the Center for Awareness, Response and Education, will be leaving Northwestern in the upcoming few weeks to take a position at Minnesota.

Ang has worked closely with Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault, a student group aimed towards combating sexual assault, and announced his upcoming departure in an email to the MARS listserv Friday. A copy of the email was obtained by The Daily.

“I am extremely proud of the work and dedication you bring to MARS and the work we do,” Ang wrote in the email. “It has been so wonderful getting to know and work with you all.”

Erin Clark, the assistant director of CARE, will lead the search for new coordinator.

MARS president Kevin Pu, a Weinberg senior, confirmed that Ang’s final day at NU will be August 3.

Funding for the position will continue moving forward, Pu said, though a federal grant that provides funding the coordinator for men’s engagement position was, as of May, supposed to run out in September.

“That position is basically our liaison between MARS and CARE as a whole,” Pu said. “Clark is planning on helping us transition through this period of looking for a new director … and working with us to maintain that relationship between MARS and CARE, so we all have that staff advice and that connection to the CARE facilities and mentorship.”

Pu said he believes he, and perhaps the rest of the MARS executive board, will also have some input in the replacement search.

Neither Ang nor Clark responded to requests for comment. University spokesman Al Cubbage referred the The Daily to associate vice president and chief of staff of student affairs Julie Payne-Kirchmeier, who also did not respond to a request for comment.

Ang came to Northwestern in the fall of 2015 after serving in a similar position at Syracuse until the center in which he worked was shut down.

In the time since, Ang launched a program for dialogue about masculinity, ramped up the University’s bystander intervention training program and partnered with representatives from Social Justice Education and Counseling and Psychological Services.

Twitter: @benpope111