Blotter: Two men arrested in connection with marijuana- and gun-related incident

Sophie Mann, Reporter

An Evanston man and a Skokie man were arrested Thursday afternoon in connection with two felonies and several misdemeanors in west Evanston, according to a news release.

Police were called to the 2100 block of Dewey Avenue in reference to a report of two individuals in a vehicle smoking marijuana, the release said. The two men got out of the vehicle and tried to walk away after seeing the officers. Upon looking through the vehicle’s window, officers observed both the marijuana and a handgun.

According to the release, a further check of the vehicle revealed a loaded semi-automatic handgun with two extra magazines and a plastic bag containing marijuana.

The 25-year-old Skokie man was charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, a felony, and two misdemeanors, while the 27-year-old Evanston man was charged with one count of armed habitual criminal, a felony, and two misdemeanors, according to the release.

Evanston man charged with felony residential burglary

An Evanston resident was arrested Thursday evening in connection with residential burglary in west Evanston, according to a news release.

Officers were dispatched to the area after a 15-year-old resident discovered a 52-year-old man he knew from his neighborhood rummaging through one of the bedrooms to the home, the release said. When the resident confronted the man, he fled.

The man was subsequently located by police in a yard near the home, the release said. No items appeared to be missing from the home.

The man was charged with one count of residential burglary, a felony.

Twitter: @sophiemmann