Football: Jackson, Thorson, Igwebuike named to preseason Player of the Year watchlists

Justin Jackson runs with the ball in last seasons homecoming game against Indiana. Jackson was named to the watchlist for the 2017 Maxwell Award on Monday.

Daily file photo by Lauren Duquette

Justin Jackson runs with the ball in last season’s homecoming game against Indiana. Jackson was named to the watchlist for the 2017 Maxwell Award on Monday.

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

Football

The preseason hype surrounding Northwestern football expanded Monday to include some of the Wildcats’ biggest stars.

Senior running back Justin Jackson and junior quarterback Clayton Thorson were both named to the watchlist for the Maxwell Award, given annually to college football’s most valuable overall player. Senior safety Godwin Igwebuike, meanwhile, was named to the watchlist for the Bednarik Award, given to college football’s most valuable defensive player.

All three players are poised for big seasons.

Jackson is the first player in program history to rush for more than 1,000 in three consecutive seasons and needs only 356 more yards this season to become NU’s all-time leading rusher. Thorson set a program record with 22 touchdown passes in 2016 and directed a tremendous offensive resurgence in the second half of the season.

Igwebuike, after leading the Cats in tackles last season, nearly declared for the 2017 NFL draft but decided to instead return for his senior season.

Neither watchlist is particularly exclusive — 85 were listed for the Maxwell, and 86 were listed for the Bednarik. Nevertheless, the recognition is yet another honor for an NU team that finished off the 2016 season extremely well-positioned for an explosive 2017.

Twitter: @benpope111