Men’s Basketball: Assistant coach Pat Baldwin hired by Milwaukee

Daily file photo by Sara Gnolek

Pat Baldwin (left) speaks to a player from the sideline. Baldwin, who spent four years as an NU assistant, left to become the head coach at Milwaukee.

Garrett Jochnau, Reporter

Men’s Basketball

Assistant coach Pat Baldwin is leaving Northwestern after agreeing to a five-year deal to become Milwaukee’s head coach, Milwaukee announced in a news release Tuesday.

Baldwin, a Wildcats guard from 1990-94, joined NU’s coaching staff in 2013-14 when head coach Chris Collins was hired to lead the program. Baldwin is often credited for developing the Cats’ top guards, including seniors Bryant McIntosh and Scottie Lindsey, who both earned All-Big Ten honors last season.

“I’d like to thank the Northwestern University community … for four unbelievable years,” Baldwin said in the release. “I was able to come back to my alma mater and be a part of a tremendous transformation in the men’s basketball program, culminating in a dance in the NCAA tournament. Thank you for all of the great memories.”

Baldwin was rumored as a candidate for the Milwaukee job last summer, but was passed over for former Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan, who recently left the Panthers to fill the head coaching vacancy at Butler.

Baldwin’s departure opens a spot on NU’s coaching staff alongside assistants Brian James and Armon Gates. It is the first shakeup on Collins’ staff since his arrival in Evanston.

“Pat has been an integral part of everything that we have done over the last four years as well as during his time here as a student-athlete,” Collins said in a Northwestern news release. “He is more than ready to be an outstanding head coach and we wish him nothing but the best as he heads to Milwaukee.”

Twitter: @garrettjochnau