Northwestern Board of Trustees elects J. Landis Martin as new chairman

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

J. Landis Martin (Kellogg ‘68, JD ‘73) will take over as chair of the Northwestern University Board of Trustees in September, the University announced Tuesday in a news release.

Martin was elected to the position by the board on Monday and will succeed eight-year chair William Osborn (Weinberg ‘69, Kellogg ‘73), who will remain a member of the board, on Sept. 1, according to the release.

The Kellogg graduate has been highly involved with Northwestern in recent years.

A member of the board since 1999, Martin served as co-chair of the “We Will” campaign alongside his wife, Sharon, in 2015. The campaign, launched in 2014 to raise funds for four broad University initiatives, had raised $3.31 billion as of February.

The Martins committed $15 million towards the construction of Northwestern’s soccer and lacrosse stadium, which was completed last year and officially named Lanny and Sharon Martin Stadium in their honor.

Martin also serves as chairman and managing director of a private equity firm based in Denver and as chairman of a wireless infrastructure provider based in Houston.

“I’m honored to accept the chairmanship of the Board of Trustees, and I greatly appreciate the dedicated service that Bill Osborn has provided,” Martin said in the release. “Northwestern is fortunate to have had his leadership, along with that of President Schapiro, during the past eight years, and I look forward to continuing the strong partnership between the Board and the President.”

Twitter: @benpope111