Bookmobile to showcase EPL’s digital collections

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave. The library will be hosting a Digital Bookmobile on June 12 to connect readers with its eBook and audiobook collections.

Maddie Burakoff, Web Editor

The Digital Bookmobile will visit Evanston Public Library on June 12 as part of a national tour, according to a Monday news release.

The mobile exhibit will provide interactive opportunities for visitors to learn more about borrowing from the library’s digital collection, including eBooks and audiobooks. The Bookmobile will be open from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the parking lot to the east of the library, according to the release. Tours will be free and open to the public.

“This is a great opportunity for Evanston’s readers to explore the world of eBooks, learn more about what is available to them through the library, and get their questions answered,” EPL director Karen Danczak Lyons said in the release.

The Digital Bookmobile is equipped with free Wi-Fi and a variety of monitors and media players for visitors to browse the library’s digital collections, according to the release. Technical experts will be available to give one-on-one tutorials and help readers with the borrowing process.

The Digital Bookmobile also includes a Gadget Gallery with access to different devices including phones, tablets, laptops and Kindles, according to the release.

In 2016, 86,000 of the 1,080,109 items circulated at EPL were digital, according to the release. Anyone with a library card can access the digital collections for free to borrow eBooks and audiobooks.

The Digital Bookmobile is sponsored by digital reading platform OverDrive, which serves more than 36,000 libraries and schools, according to the Digital Bookmobile website.

Twitter: @madsburk