Blotter: Evanston man arrested in connection with driving under influence, child endangerment

Sophie Mann, Digital Development and Recruitment Editor

Officers arrested an Evanston man Monday night after he allegedly crashed into a parked car in west Evanston while driving under the influence.

At approximately 8:00 p.m., officers responded to the incident in the 1700 block of Dempster Street, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Officers noticed the 28-year-old Evanston resident had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the odor of alcohol on his breath, Dugan said. They also discovered an open bottle of alcohol in the vehicle. After conducting a standardized field sobriety test, the Evanston resident was arrested in connection with the incident.

At the time of the accident, his 8-month-old daughter was in the car. She was transported to St. Francis Hospital. No injuries were discovered, and she was placed in the care of a relative, Dugan said.

The 28-year-old was charged with four tickets and two misdemeanors, including driving while under the influence of alcohol and child endangerment.

Bike stolen from Evanston apartment building

A bike was reporting missing from the basement of an apartment building in north Evanston this weekend.

Between Saturday morning and Monday afternoon, unknown suspects gained entry to the basement of the building in the 2200 block of Sherman Avenue, Dugan said.

The suspects gained entry to a storage area and stole a blue Trek bicycle valued at $849, Dugan said.

Twitter: @sophiemmann