Interfraternity Council announces 6 new director positions

Interfraternity Council announced six new director positions Thursday covering a wide array of fraternity issues.

According to a post published on IFC’s Facebook page, the positions relate to academic affairs, safety and accountability, sustainability, diversity and inclusion, community wellness, and alumni relations. Each new director will be supervised by a vice president on IFC’s executive board, the post said.

IFC President Rodney Orr said he wanted to create these positions even before he became president. By allocating responsibilities, IFC will be able to focus on campus resources and individual chapters, the SESP junior said.

“It’s just really important to have someone who is engaging with these topics, 365,” he said. “The importance is to have someone whose job is to focus on one aspect of the community, not one person to have to focus on multiple aspects.”

The purpose of the additional directors is to engage more with individual chapters and increase meetings with administrators as well as other campus resources, Orr said.

Only IFC members are eligible to apply for the positions, Orr said. Those selected should have prior experience with similar roles, he said.

As these are new positions, training will be provided. For example, the director for community wellness will meet with a representative from Counseling and Psychological Services, Orr said.

Though the idea of having a director for safety and accountability was brought up before reports of alleged sexual assaults and possible druggings at Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and another, unnamed fraternity, Orr said the allegations emphasize the necessity for a position focusing on active engagement with individual chapters to make sure standards of conduct are met.

Twitter: ck_525