Northwestern raises tuition by 3.6 percent

Catherine Kim, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern’s tuition, room and board costs and other fees will increase by 3.6 percent for the 2017-18 academic year.

This is the lowest increment in the last seven years of annual tuition rate increases, according to a University news release. Tuition will rise from $50,424 to $52,239, and room and board will rise from $15,489 to $16,047.

The University will increase its total aid for undergraduates by 5.9 percent, from $164 million to $174 million. According to the news release, the additional aid will be used to help students from low and middle-income families. Approximately half of Northwestern’s undergraduate students currently receive financial aid from the University, according to the release.

Along with the increase in financial aid, NU will continue its no-loan policy, which removes any loans from students’ financial aid packages to lessen the burden of student debt, according to the release.

The availability of financial aid for international students has increased as well, and students who are undocumented and graduated from a U.S. high school will also see a “significantly increased” amount of financial aid for the first time, the release said.

Correction: A previous version of the graph in this story misstated the amount NU planned to spend on financial aid for the 2017-18 academic year. The University planned to spend $174 million. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @ck_525