Feinberg associate dean wins American Medical Women’s Association award

Jonah Dylan, Assistant Campus Editor

Sandra Sanguino, associate dean for student affairs at the Feinberg School of Medicine, was awarded the Exceptional Mentor Award by the American Medical Women’s Association.

In addition to her role as assistant dean, Sanguino is also an associate professor of pediatrics and of medical education. She received her MD from Feinberg in 1993 and her MPH from the University of Illinois Chicago in 2000. Sanguino also serves on the medical staff at the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago.

“We have a robust mentorship program here at Feinberg, and all of us in the Dean’s Office serve as mentors,” Sanguino said in a news release. “I’ve had wonderful mentors in my own career who have helped guide me, and I hope to be able to do that for our students as well.”

The award is given to physicians who have significantly contributed to the professional and personal development of medical students. The awards will officially be given out at the American Medical Women’s Association’s annual meeting, which will be held in San Francisco in April.

The American Medical Women’s Association is a national organization dedicated to improving women’s health and advancing women’s careers in medicine. It was founded by Dr. Bertha VanHoosen in 1915 in Chicago to help underrepresented women physicians. The association is the oldest multi-specialty organization dedicated to advancing women in medicine and improving women’s health. Today, it offers webinars on career development, a task force that advocates for equal pay, elimination of gender stereotypes and more.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan