ASG Senate elects new parliamentarian, confirms new A-status vice president

Jonah Dylan, Assistant Campus Editor

Associated Student Government Senate elected a new parliamentarian and confirmed a new A-status vice president at Wednesday’s meeting.

Parliamentarian elections took place after Medill junior Shelby Reitman resigned from the position at the beginning of the meeting, saying that the time commitment of ASG was affecting the quality of her performance.

“This quarter I have just been very busy for a number of reasons and noticed that I haven’t been able to really give 100 percent to this position,” she said. “While it may not have affected people directly … I didn’t really want to continue staying because it’s not fair to any of you.”

Daniella Lumpkin was elected to succeed Reitman, although she will only serve for the remainder of this quarter, after which another parliamentarian will be elected. The Weinberg junior is currently a member of the Judicial Reform Ad Hoc Committee — which was formed Fall Quarter — and said she hopes to continue the committee’s work transitioning into the creation of a student-run judicial branch.

Later, Senate confirmed Weinberg junior Daniel Wu as A-status vice president, which maintains close relationships with A-status student groups regarding their affairs and finances. Wu will succeed Weinberg senior Eric Oringer.

Wu, who has worked on the A-status finance committee for around a year and half, emphasized that an important principle of the committee is fairness.

“I always try to be as objective and unbiased as possible, and I think that’s something the ASVP needs to do because we’re supposed to treat all student groups the same,” Wu said.

Senate also passed a resolution regarding sustainability in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, calling upon the school to establish an interdisciplinary overlay — which would require students to take a certain amount of approved courses without increasing credit requirements — to provide courses with an emphasis on sustainability and the environment.

Senate also elected two members to a commission that will later appoint two undergraduate students to the University’s 10-member Advisory Committee on Investment Responsibility. The full commission — which consists of the two Senate-elected members, ASG President Christina Cilento, executive vice president Macs Vinson and two other undergraduate students — will then appoint two undergraduate students to the ACIR.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan