Evanston teens arrested in connection with motor vehicle thefts

Nora Shelly, City Editor

Police arrested three juveniles in two separate motor vehicle thefts that occurred this weekend.

In the first incident, a pizza delivery driver left his car running in southwest Evanston to deliver a pizza to a residence at 6:45 p.m. on Sunday. According to a news release, an unknown person entered the car and drove away. About 30 minutes later, an Evanston police officer observed the vehicle parked unoccupied at a gas station in south Evanston.

The officer stopped the 17-year-old male from Dekalb, Illinois, who returned to the vehicle. The keys to the vehicle were found in the 17-year-old’s pocket.

The teenager was charged with one count of possession of a stolen motor vehicle and transported to the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center as he had an active warrant from Dekalb County.

In the second incident on Sunday, EPD officers patrolling in south Evanston just before 10 p.m. observed a white Toyota that had been reported stolen in Chicago driving southbound on Ridge Avenue from Howard Street. According to a news release, officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but the three occupants exited the vehicle and attempted to flee in the 7500 block of north Seeley Avenue.

Officers arrested a 16-year-old Chicago resident immediately who was driving the vehicle and arrested a 17-year-old Evanston resident a few blocks away. The third passenger of the vehicle fled on foot and was not caught by officers.

The 16-year-old driver was charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle, and the 17-year-old was charged with Criminal Trespass to Vehicle. Both were petitioned to juvenile court.

Twitter: @noracshelly