Eight people hospitalized after carbon monoxide alarm

Nora Shelly, City Editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Eight Evanston residents were hospitalized early Monday morning for evaluations after a carbon monoxide alarm sounded.

Evanston Fire Department crews were dispatched to a residence in west Evanston just after 7 a.m. on Monday after receiving a carbon monoxide alarm report, according to a news release. The two-flat building was evacuated, and eight of the residents were transported to Presence St. Francis Hospital and Evanston Hospital for evaluation. Some of those hospitalized reported symptoms such as headaches, which are consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.

The news release said carbon monoxide levels of 200 parts per million were detected in the home. EFD division chief Paul Polep said a normal reading for a home is between zero and two parts per million.

The cause of the leak has not yet been identified, but EFD and Nicor Gas are investigating. The eight people who were hospitalized are in stable condition.

Email: norashelly2019@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @noracshelly

Comments