City to sound alarm if Cubs win it all

A+Chicago+Cubs+fan+celebrates+after+the+Cubs+clinched+their+first+World+Series+berth+since+1945.+Evanston+is+planning+on+setting+off+the+emergency+alarms+if+the+team+wins+the+World+Series.+

Colin Boyle/The Daily Northwestern

A Chicago Cubs fan celebrates after the Cubs clinched their first World Series berth since 1945. Evanston is planning on setting off the emergency alarms if the team wins the World Series.

Nora Shelly, City Editor

Evanston is planning to do a little more than just “Fly the W” if the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

The city will set off its emergency sirens if the team wins the World Series. The Cubs are tied 1-1 with the Cleveland Indians in the best-of-seven series, and could clinch either Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

The city flew “W” flags in front of city facilities and Fountain Square after the Cubs victory this weekend, city manager Wally Bobkiewicz said.

Bobkiewicz said the flags were a way for the city to “properly recognize” the team after they won the National League pennant but wanted to do something more if the Cubs won the World Series.

“The emergency sirens are something that are used only in emergencies,” Bobkiewicz said. “In this special instance, setting them off would make sense.”

In anticipation of a potential victory, the city also waived a rule limiting block parties to the summer and early fall. If the Cubs win, Evanston residents will be able to celebrate with their neighbors in the street. The city is already showing the World Series games in several locations, including the Robert Crown Center and the Levy Senior Center.

Ald. Donald Wilson (4th) said ringing the alarm for a potential Cubs victory would “promote togetherness.”

“It’s something big and exciting to a lot of people, so I think it’s a way that we can allow people in the community to share their excitement,” he said. “Preferably they won’t clinch in at one in the morning.”

Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl said setting off the alarm was an easy decision.

“It’s traditional, and I’m pulling for the Cubbies,” she said.

Tisdahl described her family as “split” when it comes to cheering for the two Chicago baseball teams. While the mayor is a White Sox fan, some of her children and grandchildren are more partial to the North Side team.

Although Tisdahl said it is possible someone might hear the alarm, and — unaware of the Cubs’ victory — assume there is some sort of emergency, the “vast majority” of people in the city will know what’s going on.

“It would be wonderful if they won,” she said.

Twitter: @noracshelly