The Weekly Podcast: Tracking Evanston’s mayoral race and experiencing Wildcat Welcome as a Black student

The Weekly is The Daily’s weekly news podcast.

In this edition of The Weekly, The Daily’s Davis Rich chats with City Editor Nora Shelly to discuss the election. No, not that one, but the one happening in our backyard, Evanston. The race for mayor is heating up, as there are now four candidates running.

Our reporters also continue to follow the recommendations from the Black Student Experience Task Force report this week. Juliette Johnson sits down with Weinberg junior Michaela Davis to discuss inclusivity — or lack thereof — during Wildcat Welcome. Though not representative of all experiences that students of color have, Davis has gone through Wildcat Welcome both as a new student and a Peer Advisor.

Finally, you get a peek into one of The Daily’s other podcasts: The Spectrum Podcast. The Spectrum is a section of the Opinion desk that focuses on marginalized voices on campus. Our Spectrum Editors spoke with Zoe Johnson about the importance of queer women representation. Check out the rest of that podcast here.

Claire Fahey, Juliette Johnson, Shane McKeon, Corey Mueller, Davis Rich and Rachel Silverstein from The Daily and Alex Lederman from WNUR News contributed to this podcast.