Rear Admiral Lisa Franchetti receives University Alumnae award

Allyson Chiu, Assistant Campus Editor

Rear Admiral Lisa Franchetti will receive Northwestern’s 2016 Alumnae Award, the University announced.

The Alumnae Award is presented each year to a notable alumna who has had a “significant impact” in her field of work, according to a news release. Franchetti (Medill ‘85) was recently promoted to chief of staff, J5, Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.

As the J5 Chief of Staff, Franchetti is responsible for proposing strategies, plans and policies to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to provide military advice to the president and other national leaders.

Franchetti is the first woman to serve as commander of U.S. Naval Forces Korea. She was the U.S. Navy’s representative to Korea, and her main job was strengthening the security efforts in the region.

Franchetti was also commander of two carrier strike groups, Carrier Strike Group Nine and Fifteen.

Franchetti was awarded various personal decorations such as the Defense Superior Service Medal as well as five Legion of Merit awards, among others.

At NU, Franchetti joined the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corp after coming across the group by chance during her freshman year.

“I was on my way from Patten Gym and saw a bunch of NROTC students having a cookout and playing football, and I stopped by to talk to them,” Franchetti said in a news release. “I was whisked away into their office building, talked to a lieutenant who told me how great the Navy was, and, next thing I know, I’m signed up and getting my uniform and some books.”

Franchetti will receive the award Oct. 28 at the Hilton Garden Inn, 1818 Maple Ave.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated Lisa Franchetti’s position. Franchetti is the J5 Chief of Staff. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @_allysonchiu