Men’s Golf: Northwestern looking forward to unique Bush Cup

Daily file photo by Lauren Duquette

Ryan Lumsden lines up a drive. The sophomore will tee it up at the Bush Cup in his first event since earning a share of the individual title at the Marquette Intercollegiate.

Benjy Apelbaum, Reporter

Men’s Golf

Northwestern will look to continue its newfound winning ways as it participates in an unusual match on Friday.

The Wildcats will face off against Army in the second annual Bush Cup, which will be played at nearby Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Illinois. The event will be played in the same format as the Walker Cup, a Ryder Cup-style competition for amateur golfers.

NU and Army will play four alternating-shot foursomes in the morning, then eight head-to-head singles matches in the afternoon. Each match is worth one point.

“It’s a really interesting format and something that we love playing,” sophomore Ryan Lumsden said. “We’re looking forward to having this opportunity.”

Lumsden also said that he is looking to continue to improve after he had a breakout performance to tie for first at the Marquette Invitational on Oct. 3. The Cats won the tournament for their first team victory in three years. This weekend, the team will look to build on the performance.

The Bush Cup format is a departure from the individual stroke play the Cats have played in each of their previous events this season. This is the only time NU will play in alternating shot foursomes, and the Cats are looking forward to the experience.

The format might hamper the golfers’ usual routine, but coach David Inglis said the team was practicing foursome play during the week, and the players were excited for the increased camaraderie.

In addition, Inglis will get the chance to see his whole team in action. Eight players will play in each session, unlike the usual five who normally play in standard tournaments.

The afternoon match play format will prepare NU for the Big Ten Match Play Championships in February and potentially the NCAA Championships later in the spring.

The Bush Cup was established in honor of former president George H.W. Bush and is meant to promote both college sports and service to the United States. Last year, Army and Yale tied at Winged Foot Golf Club.

“It’s a great honor having Army come here and let us host (the event),” junior Dylan Wu said. “We know how much this tournament means to them, and it’s an honor getting to play them.”

After the match, NBC golf analyst David Feherty will receive the Bush Cup Foundation’s Humanitarian Award for his work benefitting wounded soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Aside from the final result, the Cats will have a unique experience at historic Medinah, which has hosted three U.S. Opens and two PGA Championships.

“They’re really excited. It’s such a unique format and a great course,” Inglis said. “I’m sure they’ll remember it for the rest of their lives.”

Twitter: @benjyapelbaum