Fencing: Hamilton helps Wildcats thrive at North American Cup

Daily file photo by Sean Su

A Wildcat evades a touch. Northwestern had a generally strong showing at the North American Cup this weekend.

Alexis Wainwright, Reporter

Fencing

Northwestern may be just two events into its season, but the Wildcats have already scored some standout results.

Against some of the top fencers in the country, freshman Pauline Hamilton led the way for the Cats. After finishing fifth in senior épée in her collegiate debut at the Remenyik Open, Hamilton had the top NU result in senior-level competition, finishing seventh in épée.

In individual events with more than 100 fencers, sophomore Maddy Curzon and junior Katie Van Riper also competed well for NU. While Curzon finished 16th in senior saber, Van Riper kicked off the tournament in a strong fashion on Friday. After going 4-1 in pool play, she caught fire in the knockout round, grabbing six straight wins to take first place in Division II épée.

On Saturday, the Cats had their ups and downs. Although several fencers advanced to the second round, Hamilton had the standout performance.

Her biggest win came in a 14-13 upset over No. 5 Ally Ryf of St. John’s. Hamilton eventually lost in the quarterfinals.

Although seniors Stella Pointeau and Cindy Oh had strong showings at the Remenyik Open, earning individual medals, both struggled to find their footing in Detroit. Pointeau tied for 118th in senior foil while Oh placed 66th in senior saber.

NU will now have roughly a month off before competing in the Elite Invitational on Nov. 5 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated the division in which Katie Van Riper competed. She competed in Divison II épée. The Daily regrets the error.