Police Blotter: Police attempt to find stolen items in residential burglary

Rishika Dugyala, Assistant Summer Editor

Police are trying to track down items stolen during a residential burglary that occurred early Tuesday morning.

At about 12:30 a.m., police arrived at the 800 block of Gaffield Place after a 65-year-old male resident reported theft, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Dugan said the resident heard the gate to his backyard slide open at around that time. When the resident looked out his window, he saw a male subject in a dark, hooded sweatshirt walking away from his yard, toward the street, with a black backpack.

Dugan said the resident then went downstairs and saw his east window, which had been closed before, was now open. He noticed two iPads, some money, jewelry and car keys were missing. The iPads were valued at $700 total, Dugan said.

Criminal damage done to vehicle on Hovland Court

A female resident of the 1800 block of Hovland Court parked her car on the street in front of her house at 10:30 p.m. on Monday, Dugan said. She returned on Tuesday at about 6:30 a.m. and found her car damaged.

All of her vehicle’s windows were smashed, the four tires were slashed and the mirrors were also broken, Dugan said. He said although the woman reported she had been having ongoing problems with another female, there were no witnesses present at the time of the crime.

Twitter: @rdugyala822