Former Northwestern student Michael Szot dies

Marissa Page, Features Editor

Former Northwestern student Michael Szot was pronounced dead Thursday night after being found unresponsive in the library at Waubonsee Community College in Sugar Grove, Illinois, according to the Kane County Coroner’s Office.

At approximately 9:10 p.m. Thursday night, the coroner’s office was notified that Szot had been pronounced dead at Presence Mercy Medical Center, according to a news release. He was found unresponsive in the library and transported to the medical center.

An autopsy was performed Friday at the Kane County Morgue. His cause of death is not yet clear and pending further tests.

Szot, 23, was sentenced in March to four years probation including one year of periodic imprisonment for aggravated driving under the influence in the car accident that killed an NU student and another passenger in July 2014. He had not attended NU since the accident.

Szot, who was a rising McCormick senior when the accident occurred, drove his car into a water-filled quarry after drinking at a bar in Naperville, Illinois. Szot escaped the car alive, but Mihirtej Boddupalli — also then a rising McCormick senior — died in the crash, along with Sajaad Safiullah Syed, a 21-year-old Naperville resident and friend of Boddupalli’s.

Szot, who was from Geneva, Illinois, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated DUI causing death in 2015 after initially pleading not guilty.

Twitter: @marissahpage