Northwestern Panhellenic Association issues apology for delayed response on banners

Fathma Rahman, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern’s Panhellenic Association apologized to its chapters Saturday morning via email for what it called a delayed public response to the recent Sexual Assault Awareness Month banners controversy.

In its statement, PHA noted the effort was well-intentioned, but that it was “triggering and silencing” for women affected by sexual violence.

“Over the last week, we have come to fully comprehend the negative consequences of our silence,” the PHA executive board said in the email. “We sincerely apologize to every member of the Panhellenic community that we hurt and disappointed with our lack of immediate response.”

NU Interfraternity Council faced criticism for banners that several fraternities hung outside their houses with messages such as “It’s everyone’s problem” and “We support survivors.” Some students criticized the banner effort, saying IFC should do more to combat sexual assault.

PHA announced that it will host a community forum Monday evening for PHA members to voice their concerns and offer feedback to PHA’s executive board, the email said.

PHA’s executive board will also meet with IFC’s executive board Monday evening to discuss the campaign’s impact and how to move forward.

Twitter: @fathma_rahman