Women’s Basketball: Maggie Lyon signed by Chicago Sky

Maggie Lyon holds the ball high above her head. Lyon was signed Thursday by the WNBA's Chicago Sky.

Daily file photo by Sam Schumacher

Daily file photo by Sam Schumacher

Max Gelman, Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

Northwestern guard Maggie Lyon was signed to the Chicago Sky training camp roster, the team announced Thursday. Lyon will report to training camp Sunday.

In her senior season, Lyon averaged 16.5 points per game while shooting 40.8 percent overall and 33 percent from 3-point range. She started all 30 regular season games but was sidelined during the Big Ten Tournament and WNIT with a lower body injury.

Lyon is NU’s all-time leading 3-point scorer, draining 268 shots from downtown during her career. The Wilmette native is also sixth in program history in total points with 1,693.

The Chicago Sky finished the 2015 WNBA season 21-13, good for second place in the Eastern Conference and 2 games behind the New York Liberty. Chicago’s season ended after falling to the Indiana Fever in the first round of the WNBA playoffs last October.

Correction: Due to an editing error, a previous version of the headline misstated how the Sky acquired Lyon. She was signed by the team. The Daily regrets the error.

Email: [email protected]edu
Twitter: @MaxGelman