Police Blotter: Evanston resident arrested after aiming gun at two young men

Juliet Freudman, Reporter

An Evanston resident was charged with aggravated assault Friday after aiming a handgun at two other Evanston residents.

The two males who reported the incident, ages 14 and 28, said they were in a vehicle in the 1900 block of Foster Street at about 5:50 p.m. when an 18-year-old male acquaintance saw them, pointed a black handgun with one hand and formed a gang sign with the other, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The young men drove away and contacted the Evanston Police Department. Police located the young man in the area of Foster Street and Grey Avenue at about 6:10 p.m, Dugan said.

He was charged with disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor, and is scheduled to appear at the Skokie Courthouse on May 24.

Man in EPD custody charged with criminal damage to state-supported property

A 22-year-old Evanston man already in custody by EPD was charged Monday morning with damaging a law enforcement building.

The Evanston resident had originally been taken to the police station in the 1400 block of Elmwood Avenue on Sunday night after he was stopped for a traffic violation, Dugan said. Evanston police reported that he was “loud and belligerent” and struck an officer with the driver side door of his car.

While EPD was processing him and taking his fingerprints and photos, the man struck a wooden wall of the police department with both fists at about 4:15 a.m. and cracked it, Dugan said.

In addition to his initial charges of traffic offenses, resisting arrest and battery to a police officer, the man was also charged with criminal damage to state-supported property, which is a felony. His court date will be set at the bond hearing.

Twitter: @girlwhojumped