Equipment, iPads stolen from Norris University Center

Kelli Nguyen, Assistant Campus Editor

An administrator cautioned students Friday to be vigilant of their belongings following thefts at Norris University Center, according to an email from a Norris administrator.

In an email to Norris employees, Michael McKean, assistant director for event productions, said $1,800 worth of equipment had been stolen from the building in the past 48 hours. The email said four iPads and a student’s laptop were stolen as well.

“Under no circumstances should you leave anything of value unattended,” McKean wrote in the email. “The best way to fight theft is to be on the lookout and make it difficult for thieves to gain access to valuables.”

In addition, two individuals were detained by University Police for trespassing, the email said. The trespassers were charged with trespassing and are not allowed on University property, said Gloria Graham, assistant vice president and deputy chief of police.

“They had a lot of luggage and things with them that they were pulling around,” Graham said. “If (students) see suspicious things like that, always contact us and let us know.”

Prior to this incident, Graham said the pair had been seen in the building on three separate occasions and received a warning after being found on the third floor, which is not open to the public.

It is unknown whether the trespassers were involved with the thefts. UP has requested video surveillance to investigate the incidents further, Graham said.

Twitter: @kellipnguyen