Letter to the Editor: My Judaism and Zionism are inextricably linked

Alana Olswing

I did not hesitate to vote yes for Unshackle NU’s divestment resolution, especially after Jessica Schwalb’s call to Jewish students to “reenter campus activism” in spite of anti-Israel rhetoric. However, it is important to note that growing up and listening to my family tell stories about Israel made nothing seem more beautiful than the one Jewish State in the world. And for me, to be Jewish is to be a Zionist. When Unshackle NU and Northwestern Divest published a letter that “condemned” the linking of these two identities, I came to question, maybe even regret, my decision.

My regret for voting yes does not stem from the debate over the amendment I supported, but as a result of the grossly over-generalized letter published by Unshackle NU and NU Divest. To claim that Judaism is only a “religious identity” overlooks those who identify as culturally Jewish. Israel is by no means perfect, but failing to provide context for uninformed readers is appalling.

How can I support a movement that “condemns” my inextricably linked Jewish and Zionist identities? How can I support a movement that alienates and polarizes a group of students? Why would I vote to support a movement that doesn’t know the difference between religious Judaism and cultural Judaism? The fact that I did support a movement that is now shamelessly disparaging Zionists saddens me.

Coming into college, I hoped to enter an environment where I could further develop my personal relationship with Israel through dialogue and debate with students of different identities and perspectives different than my own. I did not imagine this dialogue to take form in an over abundance of Op-Eds and Letters to the Editor.

How far am I, and other Zionist students, going to allow this vehemently anti-Israel and anti-Zionist rhetoric be tolerated? Where is the line going to be drawn? For me, it is drawn at the publishing of a letter that actively dismisses and derogates my beliefs and those of numerous Jewish students on this campus, is misleading and atrociously culturally insensitive. Amidst everything, one thing is made clear to me: Zionist solidarity is not welcomed. So I ask you Jessica Schwalb, what is your advice now?

Signed,
Alana Olswing, Bienen Sophomore