Women’s Basketball: Nia Coffey named AP All-America honorable mention selection

Nia+Coffey+goes+in+for+a+layup.+The+junior+forward+nearly+averaged+a+double-double+this+past+season%2C+notching+20.3+points+and+9.8+rebounds+per+game.+

Daily file photo by Katie Pach

Nia Coffey goes in for a layup. The junior forward nearly averaged a double-double this past season, notching 20.3 points and 9.8 rebounds per game.

Garrett Jochnau, Assistant Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

Junior forward Nia Coffey received an honorable mention All-America nod by the Associated Press, the AP announced Monday.

Coffey became the third player in program history to be given the honor.

She averaged a team-leading 20.3 points per game in her junior campaign and was previously named to the All-Big Ten First Team by both coaches and media. She also averaged 9.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game, both also team highs.

During the season, Coffey led the Big Ten in double-doubles with 18, scoring in double figures in every game this season and playing a focal role for NU on both sides of the court. She also set the Cats’ single-season rebounding record, logging 344 boards on the season.

The junior recently led an NU squad seeded No. 12 in the Big Ten Tournament to the semifinals, scoring 18, 25, 26 and 31 points in the team’s four contests, and taking on an even heavier burden than usual after junior guard Maggie Lyon missed the tournament with a lower body injury.

She also notched 20 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks in the Wildcats’ season-ending first-round WNIT loss to San Diego.

Coffey is the first Wildcat to be named an All-American since 2010, when Amy Jaeschke — who became the first person in program history to be selected in the WNBA draft — was given an honorable mention nod.

Twitter: @GarrettJochnau