Men’s Basketball: McIntosh, Demps receive All-Big Ten Honorable Mention

Max Schuman, Assistant Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball

Sophomore guard Bryant McIntosh and senior guard Tre Demps received All-Big Ten Honorable Mention honors for the 2015-2016 season, the Big Ten announced Monday.

McIntosh, who was selected by both coaches and media members, was the second-highest scorer for Northwestern on the season, averaging 13.6 points per game on 41.8 percent shooting from the field and 35.7 percent shooting from 3. The point guard set a new single-season school record for assists this year with 208, blowing by the previous mark of 157.
The sophomore also had several memorable performances scoring the ball, including a 28-point outburst in the Wildcats’ home victory over Wisconsin on Jan. 12 and a 32-point showing in an overtime victory over Columbia on Nov. 20.

Demps, who was recognized in the media selections, led NU in scoring this season, averaging 15.5 points per game on 39.9 percent shooting. He led the conference in minutes played, averaging 36.7 per game, and has come on strong as of late, scoring in double figures in each of his last nine games.

The senior’s most memorable performance of the season was a 30-point outing against then-No. 3 Iowa on Jan. 31, as Demps scored a single-game career high in the Cats’ loss. This is Demps’ second-consecutive All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

Senior center Alex Olah was also recognized by the conference as NU’s winner of the Sportsmanship Award.

The Cats take on Michigan in their first game of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday.