Women’s Basketball: Coffey, Deary earn all-conference awards

Daily file photo by Keshia Johnson

Ashley Deary pesters a ballhandler. The junior guard was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year on Monday after leading the nation and setting a single-season Big Ten record for steals this season.

Cole Paxton, Reporter

Women’s Basketball

Junior guard Ashley Deary earned Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year honors and junior forward Nia Coffey was named first team all-Big Ten, the conference announced Monday.

Deary leads the nation in steals with 4.3 per game and her 128 steals this season set a new Big Ten record. She also broke Northwestern’s all-time steals record this season with 237 total.

Deary, who also received honorable mention all-Big Ten honors from the media, was named to the all-conference defensive team last year.

Coffey, named to the first team by both coaches and a media panel, averaged 19.7 points and 10 rebounds per game. Her 15 double-doubles this season tied for a conference best. This selection marks Coffey’s third consecutive season as an all-Big Ten first team choice.

Senior guard Maggie Lyon was an honorable mention selection from both coaches and the media, and senior forward Christen Johnson was a Big Ten Sportsmanship Award Honoree.

Minnesota guard Rachel Banham, who tied the NCAA record with 60 points in a double-overtime win over the Wildcats, was the conference player of the year.

NU opens the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis against Wisconsin on Wednesday.

Twitter: @ckpaxton