Men’s Swimming: Wilimovsky wins FINA’s Best Male Open Water Swimmer of 2015

Daily file photo by Brian Lee

Jordan Wilimovsky swims for Northwestern. The swimmer, who is taking time away from school to prepare for the 2016 Summer Olympics, was named FINA’s Best Male Open Water Swimmer of 2015 on Sunday.

Tucker Johnson, Reporter

Swimming and Diving

Northwestern’s Jordan Wilimovsky was named FINA’s Best Male Open Water Swimmer of 2015 on Sunday.

Wilimovsky won the 10-kilometer open water swim at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia, last summer. His win at the world championships made him an automatic qualifier for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, and he has taken a leave of absence from NU this year to train full time.

FINA, the world swimming and diving federation, announced the awards at its “Evening of Stars” in Budapest, Hungary. A number of other swimmers and divers were honored at the event, including world record holder Katie Ledecky and the U.S. women’s water polo team.

“2015 was a great year for me, and I’m 100 percent focused on my training in the hopes that 2016 brings equal success,” Wilimovsky said in a video shown at the event.

Last season, during his junior year at NU, Wilimovsky won the Big Ten Championship in the 1,650-yard freestyle and placed third in the event at the NCAA Championships.

Correction: A previous version of this story misspelled Jordan Wilimovsky’s name in the headline. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @kentuckyjohnson