Northwestern students report apartment break-in

Residents+reported+a+break-in+at+620+Clark+Street+early+Tuesday+morning.+The+man+who+broke+in+took+laptops%2C+wallets+and+a+book+bag%2C+some+of+which+were+later+returned.+

Zack Laurence/The Daily Northwestern

Residents reported a break-in at 620 Clark Street early Tuesday morning. The man who broke in took laptops, wallets and a book bag, some of which were later returned.

Jeremy Margolis, Reporter

A man broke into a residence in the 600 block of Clark Street early Tuesday morning and threatened two Northwestern students, police said.

The man broke a window in the rear door to gain entrance to the apartment at approximately 2 a.m. He told the residents he had a weapon but they did not see one, according to an alert released by the University.

Police took a man into custody following the incident but he was released Tuesday afternoon because the students could not positively identify him, Evanston Police Department spokesman Perry Polinski said.

The man who broke in — described to police as a black male in his 40s with a medium build and a black hoodie — took two laptops, two wallets and a book bag. Some of the items were later recovered, Polinski said.

The man originally taken into custody remains a person of interest but the investigation is ongoing, Polinski said.

Email: jeremymargolis2019@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @jeremyrmargolis