Northwestern partners with Museum of Contemporary Art for free admission

Benjamin Din, Digital Projects Editor

A new partnership with the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago means members of the Northwestern community have another free museum to visit the next time they are in downtown Chicago.

NU students, faculty and staff who show their WildCARD will have free admission to the museum starting this month. The museum, which is located across the street from NU’s Chicago Campus, features a collection of about 6,000 works spanning a variety of styles including minimalism, conceptualism and surrealism.

The museum is also home to MCA Stage, which features contemporary performances in its 300-seat theater, and a sculpture garden.

All students, regardless of undergraduate, graduate, professional, part-time or full-time status, will have access to the partnership’s benefits. This differs from the University’s collaboration with the Art Institute of Chicago, which began in 2013 and provides free admission during regular hours only to undergraduate students.

Other aspects of the partnership with the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago include discounts to performing arts events, as well as docent-led tours for faculty who request them in advance. With the new partnership, the Intercampus Shuttle will begin dropping off and picking up NU passengers in front of the museum.

The partnership was managed by the Student Organizations and Activities department within Campus Life, which also worked on the partnership with the Art Institute.

Twitter: @benjamindin