Luke Vogelzang/The Daily Northwestern

Captured: Northwestern beats Illinois at Soldier Field for 10th win

November 29, 2015

Welcome to The Daily’s photo blog: Captured. This will be a space to share photos by The Daily’s staff as well as photos from members of our community. Students can submit entries to be considered from their classes, vacation or just from around NU by emailing [email protected].

CHICAGO — Before Saturday’s game against Illinois, coach Pat Fitzgerald had a simple message for Dan Vitale and Northwestern’s captains.

“He just said, ‘Let’s get the hat back,’” Vitale, a senior superback, recalled after the win. “He really didn’t have to say too much.”

The No. 16 Wildcats (10-2, 6-2 Big Ten) defeated the Fighting Illini (5-7, 2-6) 24-14 at Soldier Field on Saturday, earning NU the hat-shaped Land of Lincoln Trophy and the program’s first 10-win regular season since 1995.

— Alex Putterman

Luke Vogelzang/The Daily NorthwesternLuke Vogelzang/The Daily Northwestern
Warren Long drags an Illinois defender into the end zone for Northwestern’s second score of the game. The junior running back chipped in five carriers for a total of 25 yards.

Dan Vitale stretches out to haul in a pass. The senior superback made three receptions for 32 yards and a touchdown and also had an active role as a blocker in his final regular season game.

Godwin Igwebuike drags down Illinois receiver Malik Turner. The sophomore safety made 10 tackles, powering another strong effort from Northwestern’s stout defense.

Junior cornerback Matthew Harris dives at Illinois running back Ke’Shawn Vaughn. The Fighting Illini were limited to just 78 yards rushing.

Justin Jackson fights through a tackle. The sophomore running back was Northwestern’s offensive workhorse, carrying 37 times for 172 yards and a touchdown.

Jackson and redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson celebrate Jackson’s score. Despite rushing for over 1300 yards this season, the running back has found the end zone on the ground just four times.

Defensive end Dean Lowry, coach Pat Fitzgerald and Northwestern’s senior class sing the fight song together after the game. This is just the fourth Wildcats team in program history to reach 10 wins.

Jackson waves to fans as he jogs off the field. The running back’s 37 rushing attempts vaulted him to first in the FBS with a staggering 298 carries this season.

The Daily Northwestern > Captured