Teenager charged with additional counts after July shooting

Julia Jacobs, City Editor

A 16-year-old was charged Thursday with aggravated battery involving a firearm following crime laboratory results from a shooting at the end of July.

A 22-year-old man reported to police he had been shot July 29 at about 4 p.m. in the 1700 block of Emerson Street, resulting in non-life-threatening injuries. The Skokie resident was struck once in the thigh after getting out of his car when a man walking westbound fired several shots at him with a handgun. The man who was shot was driven by an acquaintance to Evanston Hospital.

Police later stopped two teenage boys in the 1900 block of Darrow Avenue and discovered a .380 caliber Kel-Tec handgun on one of them. The teenager with the handgun was initially charged with four felonies, including aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a firearm by a street gang member, in addition to a misdemeanor for reckless conduct.

After results from the Northeastern Illinois Crime Laboratory determined the recovered bullets from the scene matched the handgun recovered from the teenager, the Evanston resident was charged with a felony for aggravated battery with a firearm. Due to the charges, the teenager’s case will be transferred to adult court.

Email: juliajacobs2018@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @juliarebeccaj