Police Blotter: Chicago woman charged with hit-and-run, driving under the influence

Joanne Lee, Reporter

A 22-year-old woman was arrested early Friday morning in connection with a hit-and-run accident.

The woman allegedly drove away after hitting another car while attempting to make a right turn in the left lane, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. An off-duty police officer who witnessed the hit-and-run helped locate the woman, police said. Police later found the woman parked in the 1400 block of Darrow Avenue on Friday at about 1 a.m.

Her car was missing its bumper and had damage to both sides, Dugan said.

The woman told police she had not been drinking, but police said she failed the field sobriety test.

She was charged with two misdemeanors for leaving the scene of an accident and driving under the influence. She also received two traffic tickets for improper lane usage and no proof of insurance.

The woman is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 24.

Local teenager caught attempting to steal a cell phone

An 18-year-old Evanston resident allegedly attempted to steal a burner phone from Best Buy.

A Best Buy employee told police he saw the man taking the $70 Virgin Mobile cell phone into the men’s bathroom and coming out empty-handed on Oct. 11 at about 12:30 p.m.

The man was stopped by the 26-year-old employee before he could leave the store in the 2300 block of Howard Street, Dugan said.

The man was not arrested at the request of the employee, police said, but was banned from the store.  

Twitter: @leehjoanne