Police Blotter: Man charged with obstructing justice during drug investigation

Joanne Lee, Reporter

A 22-year-old man was arrested Monday night in connection with obstruction of justice during a drug investigation.

Police found two men, ages 22 and 23, smoking marijuana in a car in an alley in the 700 block of Howard Street at about 7 p.m., said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. The 22-year-old man was “uncooperative” with police and was taken into custody for refusing to provide any information while lawfully detained during a narcotics investigation, Dugan said. The other man admitted to police he had just smoked marijuana in the vehicle.

Police said they later discovered the 22-year-old had an active warrant for his arrest for failure to appear in court, Dugan said. The Chicago resident was charged with a misdemeanor for obstruction of justice. He is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 23.

Woman caught stealing items worth more than $1,300 from Jewel Osco

A 30-year-old woman was arrested Monday morning in connection with stealing several items from a south Evanston grocery store.

The woman was seen by security at about 11:30 a.m. attempting to steal about $1,300 worth of groceries, home, health and beauty products at the Jewel Osco in the 2400 block of Howard Street, Dugan said.

The woman was charged with a felony for retail theft.

Woman’s car vandalized twice in two weeks

An Evanston woman discovered her car spray-painted Tuesday morning after finding it vandalized two weeks ago.

The 42-year-old woman reported at about 9:30 a.m. a large “V” spray-painted on the back of her Toyota, which was parked in her driveway in the 2700 block of Princeton Avenue.

The woman told police a prior incident occurred two weeks ago when she found her car egged.

Twitter: @leehjoanne