Fencing: Schiller to retire as coach after 38 seasons

Benjamin Din, Digital Projects Editor

Fencing

Laurie Schiller will retire at the end of the 2015-16 season as the coach of the Northwestern fencing program, the athletics department announced Saturday.

Schiller, who will be leading the program for his 38th season this year, started as head coach in 1978 and has led the Cats to more than 1,200 wins and 16 consecutive top-10 finishes at the NCAA Championships.

“Laurie Schiller is one of the most accomplished coaches in college athletics history, regardless of sport, gender or division,” said Athletic Director Jim Phillips in a news release. “We owe a tremendous debt of gratitude for his immense contributions to this institution.”

Schiller was also the head coach for the men’s fencing team from 1978 until the program dissolved in 1994. He has been named the Midwest Fencing Conference Coach of the Year 10 times during his career.

Assistant coach Zach Moss, who started last fall, will succeed Schiller.

“I am so grateful to Northwestern for providing me the opportunity and resources to create a top-notch fencing program,” Schiller said in the release. “Together we have accomplished something truly great and I am confident that I am leaving it in good hands.”

He will be the fourth NU coach to retire in the past two years, following the retirements of former cross country coach April Likhite, former baseball coach Paul Stevens and former women’s swimming and diving coach Jimmy Tierney in the 2014-15 academic year.

Twitter: @benjamindin