Police Blotter: Woman released from police station despite battery accusation

Joanne Lee, Reporter

Woman released from police station despite battery accusation

A 30-year-old woman was taken into custody Thursday night in connection with pepper spraying a 64-year-old woman.

The woman who pressed charges told police she was approached at about 6:40 p.m. in the 1600 block of Oak Street by a woman who asked if she would share her prescription medicine, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. When she refused, the 30-year-old woman maced her, police said.

Police released the accused woman at about 9:30 p.m. when the older woman, who told police she wanted to press charges, never showed up at the police station to sign the complaints.

Man charged with resisting arrest, possession of drug paraphernalia

A 47-year-old man was arrested early Wednesday morning in connection with a battery of a police officer.

Police were responding to a disturbance call in the 800 block of Clark Street at about 3:25 a.m. when the man became aggressive, Dugan said. The man pushed the officer and yelled with his fists clenched, he said. When police tried to take the man into custody, the man resisted, and multiple officers were called for backup, he added.

Police found a muddled pipe in the man’s back pocket, which they believe was used to smoke narcotics. Police said the man seemed to be intoxicated.

The man was charged with a felony for resisting arrest and two misdemeanors for battery and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Twitter: @leehjoanne