Northwestern gives $35,000 to District 65 educational foundation

Marissa Page, Assistant City Editor

Foundation 65, the education foundation serving Evanston/Skokie School District 65, received a $35,000 donation from Northwestern, the group announced Thursday.

The nonprofit foundation distributes grants to expand and enhance arts and literacy programs throughout the district. First established in 1994, the group has invested more than $1 million in the district over the past decade with the help of donors such as NU.

This most recent gift will impact “all students in all District 65 schools,” the foundation said in a news release.

“This generous gift is an extraordinary example of Northwestern University’s commitment to supporting the Evanston community,” said Foundation 65’s executive director Lise Jinno the release. “Their support will allow us to continue to invest in innovative learning opportunities for students at every school in District 65.”

NU has been a lead donor to Foundation 65 for almost a decade, along with the Chicago-based Tawani Foundation, which has agreed to match a portion of NU’s contribution.

“Northwestern University remains deeply committed to supporting the education and development of children,” NU’s Executive Vice President Nim Chinniah said in the release. “We are honored to support these efforts in District 65.”

Twitter: marissahpage